Freitag

spicy fall cupcakes


At the moment I'm enjoying my fall vacations - but last week on Halloween, I had to go to a long afternoon meeting at the office. So I decided to make some Halloween/fall cupcakes for my colleagues at work. They really enjoyed this sweet afternoon treat. Even tough, Halloween hasn't a big tradition here in Switzerland, I always get sucked in by all the Americand Food/Decorations blogs. To celebrate it at least a liiiitttle bit, I used those cute bat and pumpkin cupcake liners. Found here.



~ Spicy pumpkin cupcakes with salted caramel frosting 


I made the pumpkin puree on my own, but you can also use canned pumpkin puree. The recipe for the salted caramel sauce is from the fabulous blog "Two peas and their pod". I never made caramel sauce before, but with this step-by-step recipe it was super easy and my sauce turned out perfect!


For the cupcakes: 
1 cup (180g) whole wheat flour
1 cup (ca. 250 - 300g) pumpkin puree
3/4 cup (140g) cane sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
0.5 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons cinnamon
1 tablespoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon cilantro
1 teaspoon clove
2 large eggs
1/2 cup (120ml) whole milk
3 tablespoons (40g) unsalted butter at room temperature

For the frosting and the caramel sauce:
7oz (200g) Cream Cheese
1 cup (125g) icing sugar
3 tablespoons unsalted butter at room temperature
1/3 cup salted caramel sauce - click for the recpie! (starts at point 5)
2 cups (240g) cane sugar
12 tablespoons unsalted butter at room temperature
1 cup (250ml) heavy cream
1 tablespoon fleur de sel (I used normal sea salt)


First we make the pumpkin puree - roast the pumpkin of your choice for 1 hour at 356F degrees (180°C) or until you can easily cut trough. Remove the seeds and measure the flesh. If your pumpkin puree is a bit watery wring it out with a towel, or if you have one, a cheesecloth.


Mix the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
In a sepearte bowl, whisk the eggs with the milk then add the butter and mix until combined.
Add the egg/milk/butter mixture to the dry ingredients. Mix again and then add the pumpkin puree and combine everything. If your dough gets to thin because of the puree, just add some more flour. The dough has the perfect consistency if it drops down slowly from a spoon.

Now fill your cupcake liners and bake for 20 - 30 minutes at 375F degrees (180°C) or until a needle comes out clean.


First make the salted caramel sauce - click above for the recpie.
While the sauce is cooling, we make the quick and easy frosting - just mix all the ingredients with a electric mixer until everything is well combined and fluffy. 




 Frost your cupcakes and sprinkle them with some cinnamon.


Kommentare:

  1. These look absolutely delicious! My daughters love to bake, and recently they made pumpkin muffins. I am going to give them this recipe and ask them to make these for my birthday - which is on Monday - because I love caramel frosting!
    Have a wonderful weekend!!
    xo,
    Phyllis

    AntwortenLöschen
    Antworten
    1. A super duper late happy birthday to you! How were the birthday cupcakes?

      Löschen
  2. Sooo yummy.*_*
    Maybe follow each other on BLOGLOVIN and GFC???
    My Blog

    AntwortenLöschen